Friday, May 15, 2009

A bloom day without photos

Is like a day without ... um, photos? Sort of like last month, only I could actually take photos last month.Our camera pooped out last week and we haven't replaced it yet. I didn't realize how much I'd come to rely on it. I reach for it to snap a picture. But it's lying there, useless, on the dining room table, waiting for us to replace it.

As I was working in the garden on Saturday I thought -- rather ambitiously -- that I could describe what's in bloom in a poem. Hmm, I thought to myself, haiku would be too brief, so maybe... a sonnet. I don't know that I've ever written a sonnet, perhaps in high school English class, that would be a great challenge.

Well the challenge was a bit more than my brain had batteries for, so no sonnet for May Bloom Day. I shall merely inventory the blooms and you'll have use your vivid imagination to see them in your mind's eye. I promise I'll work on my sonnetry.

Strawberries and violas, thyme and sage
Columbines, forget-me-nots, lavender and buttercups
Last of the Dutch irises is hanging on
California poppies are radiant (tiny native bees look darling dusted with their pollen)
Big red poppies just starting to open up



--
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment