Thursday, February 16, 2012

Correcting the Record

For the record, I'm not really an idiot. I just act like one.

A bold, streaky sparrow took up residence in the neighbor's apple tree and blackberry brambles a few weeks ago. It hit our feeders along with The Usual Suspects. ID: song sparrow.


A few days later. Singing. Not a song sparrow song I'd recognize. Get binoculars and camera; observe bird, record video, take photos. Cinnamon flanks. Funny song -- like part of a song sparrow song, but missing parts, and buzzy. Surely not a song sparrow. Lincoln's sparrow?


Oh, boy! A Lincoln's sparrow!

Listen to online recordings of Lincoln's sparrows and song sparrow. Neither sounds like my sparrow.

A week later. Singing again. This time, I listened to that song. Hard. For about an hour. And the song had not remained the same. It had changed. It was now the song of the song sparrow.

Every morning that little devil is the first bird to sing. And he sings, unfalteringly now, for hours. Sometimes I even hear him in the afternoon if I'm around the house.



I must also correct the record of a previous bird-related post: juncos are back. Just had to wait for a cold snap. Saw six or eight of them this morning. Fox sparrow last weekend, too.

Hmph.

No comments:

Post a Comment