Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Pi-ku for Pi Day

March 14 (3/14) is Pi Day! Here's part of a rhyme I learned as a mnemonic for remembering pi to the 21st place. The number of letters in each word represent a number in pi (sir=3, I=1, send=4, etc.).

Sir, I send a rhyme excelling
in sacred truth and rigid spelling.
Numerical sprites elucidate
for me the lexicon's dull weight.


Now, what better way is there to celebrate Pi Day than to eat pie and write Pi-ku? A Pi-ku is a poetry form very similar to the Haiku but rather than following the 5-7-5 form, it follows the form 3-1-4: the first line has three syllables, one syllable in the second line, and four syllables in the last line.

Here is a Pi-ku to me from my husband:

                  Darling Wife
                  Oh,
                  How I love you.

Read more about Pi Day here: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2010/03/pi_day.html

No comments:

Post a Comment